Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Doctor is In! - Music Arranging

Music Arranging: Vocation or Avocation?

TAKE 6 recently performed two shows in Bogota, Colombia. It was our first time to the country and, honestly, I was not impressed initially. It was overcast for most of the time we were there, and I learned that it rains most of the year. This is due to Colombia’s high elevation—8661 ft. above sea level. The altitude wreaks havoc on the breath control of singers not accustomed to the thinner air. The temperature is normally in the 60s year-round with no change of seasons (never getting cold enough to snow or hot enough to lie on the beach).

But on the other hand, Colombia is surrounded by mountains which make for some breathtaking views. Trees and vegetation are green year-round, and flowers are always blooming. In fact, the reason we in the US are able to buy roses year-round is because of places like Colombia. And the people are warm and inviting!
My initial thoughts about Colombia are akin to the way the craft of music arranging is often viewed. It’s underrated and under-valued inside and outside of the music industry. Most lay persons don’t know what the term “music arranging” means, let alone the fact that it is a specialized field in the industry. Heck, I have a degree in the field and there are categories of Grammy Awards designated specifically for MUSIC ARRANGING! I’m proud to say that my work has been nominated twice in these categories. I also teach a course devoted to the craft of music arranging at MTSU.
While songwriters, music producers, music publishers, and recording artists receive royalties, arrangers do not. Arrangers get paid a onetime fee for their work if they get paid at all. And I’m often asked to provide vocal, rhythm, horn, or orchestral arrangements for no fee.
So why do I bother? Because I can’t help myself. It’s a God-given ability and I love doing it! And I realize that while I could get paid more by concentrating on other facets of the music industry, ultimately I would not be as fulfilled. I MUST arrange music and teach this skill to others because it’s just the way that I’m wired. I often tell my students to choose a vocation because you love it, because it completes you; not for the money you can earn. And if you are truly passionate about it you are destined to be exceptional at it. And if you are exceptional at something, you are destined to be paid handsomely for it sooner or later. I’m a living witness! At the end of TAKE 6’s stay in Colombia, I had fallen in love with the country. And at the end of the day, music arranging is my passion—my vocation!
Cedric Dent is a baritone vocalist in Take 6 and an accomplished producer and music arranger. Dr. Dent is a professor of Music at Middle Tennessee State University. He studied at the University of Michigan (B.M., Vocal Music Education), University of Alabama (M.M., Music Theory/Arranging), and the University of Maryland (Ph.D., Music Theory).
www.take6.com | www.facebook.com/take6

3 comments:

  1. I don't think most people realize how many people "touch" a song before it's made/released to the public. It's so much more than just a singer singing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very powerful. Just to know what you were destined to do is great. Music arranging makes all the difference in the way a song is presented. Simple songs such as Happy Birthday and Silent Night are great examples of songs that have been arranged in various ways. After being musically arranged, these songs have been Jazzy, Bluesy, Funky, etc. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading this to the band in rehearsal tomorrow afternoon. Thanks Doc for this one.

    ReplyDelete